The right au pair for the right Family


What is an Au pair?

An au pair stays with a host family and helps with light household duties/taking care of children in exchange for pocket money, board and lodging. The aim of the visit is to acquire international experience and to get an opportunity to learn the local culture.

With the au pair residence permit, you are only allowed to work as an au pair in the host family and at the address of the host family. Working at another place/ for other families is not allowed and will put the au pair under a risk of   losing their residence permit and having to leave the Netherlands.

Work permit and length of stay

To work and live as an au pair in the Netherlands you will need a resident permit. EU/EER and Swiss passport holders do not need a work permit to enter Netherlands; however, upon arrival to the host family, they must register in local municipality as residents. Others are required a resident permit, which should be arranged before your arrival.

Since the main goal of your arrival to the Netherlands is cultural exchange, your work permit should be arranged accordingly and only via officially recognised exchange agency (sponsor). Do not worry, our agency will take care of all paper work and will guide you throughout the process. The agency will assist in entry and residence procedure in order to get you a temporary residence permit to enter the country (MVV) and regular residence permit (VVR). After your au pair’s application has been approved, you will be able to pick up your MVV in Dutch embassy or consulate located at your current place of residence. VVR is to be collected in Immigration and Naturalisation Office upon your arrival to the Netherlands. The citizens of some countries  such as Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, USA, South Korea do not require visa to enter the Netherlands, however they will need regular residence permit VVR.  

A work permit can be granted for a period of 12 months maximum. It cannot be renewed. The average processing time for the au pair’s application is 3 months.

After arrival to the Netherlands, you must register in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BPR)  in the municipality you are going to live in. To register in the municipality you will need a legalised and translated  birth certificate, so please remember to bring it with you.